Sunday, July 23, 2006

Jim Lands in Benin

July 23, 2006

Great news. We have gotten two short emails from Jim, and it seems his adventure is off to a good start. The first email came from Philadelphia just before he was to board the plane for Paris. The Benin group of volunteers seems to be a lively bunch. They had a proper "Good bye America" dinner and party the night before they left, then they all received a round of vaccines the next morning before they headed out to the airport. Jims last comments in that email were,"Remember, no news is good news."

I believe, however, news is better than no news so I was pleased to receive a second email, this time from Cotonou. Here is the text of Jim's message:

"I am in Cotonou. Sorry I couldn't call, but it turns out their phones don't work or something. Anyway, It's quite a righteous blast here. I'll be moving to Djougou for Stage on Thursday where I'll be living with a host family. In nine weeks I'll get a cell phone. It'll be too expensive to call, but I can text message.

I'm constrained for time in writing this email, so tell everyone else that I'm still alive and having fun and such. Oh, and in Djougou the internet is really bad so it'll probably be mostly mail through which I'll communicate. "


All you blogger fans, I will be checking any replies to new posts and send them to Jim when I write to him. You can also write him yourself:

Jim Rybarski, Peace Corps Trainee
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 971
Cotonou, Benin

By the way, Djougou is in central Benin, a few hundred miles north of Cotonou, near the Togo border.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew W. said...

About how much does it cost to send a letter to Benin? I went to the post office today to send him something and the lady at the counter charged me an amazingly low amount for the postage--like, less than it cost one time to send something to Scotland and it seems like it would be more expensive to mail something to Benin than Scotland.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Jim's Mom said...

Andrew,

The lady at my post office told me the cost of a stamp was 84 cents. I believe the cost is the same for all letters outside the U.S. She did remind me to always include a par avion stamp somewhere on the envelope so the letter goes on the airplane, not the boat.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home