Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mom Poses Questions

Jim,

Now that you have broached the topic of eating dog, I think you owe your loyal blog readers more information. We want to understand more about this custom. Do people regularly eat dog, or only some people? Are these dogs similar to the critters we saw sharing the garbage with the pigs? I sit excitedly waiting for your reply.

Mom


For the most part, it's taboo in Benin, but anyone who's protein-starved will ignore that. I googled "typical West African dog" and this was the second image. It's those dogs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Thank you for answering my questions. I guess I'm glad that people in west Africa frown upon dog-eating, but I also appreciate your comment that people will do what is necessary to stay alive. We have so many goods in the U.S. that we forget that most people in the world are faced with choices like this as a part of daily life.

Mom

9:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jim,

I have a follow-up question. If it is taboo to eat dog, and you are not starving, why the hell were you eating a dog?

Susie

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jim R said...

Susie,

I feel I need to try new things. Also, it's not taboo in that village.

Jim

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home