Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ubuntu

My laptop was having a lot of problems so I reinstalled Windows, only to discover that for some reason it could no longer detect my network card no matter what I tried. I eventually gave up and installed Ubuntu.

This is the third time I've tried Linux. The first time I had no idea what I was doing and it was too complicated for someone who knew nothing about how it worked. The second time it was much improved, but there were still a few annoying bugs and it couldn't download pictures off my camera. But the latest version of Ubuntu seems to have gotten rid of all the problems that bothered me, and now that I know a few basic things I'm able to do pretty much everything I want to do. I wouldn't exactly recommend it to my mom (no offense, Mom), but it works well enough that I'm not ever going to get Windows for my personal computer ever again.

3 Comments:

Blogger LinuxCanuck said...

Congratulations!

You are well on your way. Expect a few bumps in the road, but the second great advantage of Linux is the community. If you have any problems Google for a solution and you will find lots of willing helpers.

You don't need to use the commandline (CLI) as there are GUI solutions to most problems. However, many Linux users will recommend a CLI solution. If you don't want to use the CLI then mention that in your request for help.

Linux has come a long way in terms of usability in the last couple of years as your experience verifies. Expect a delay when you get new equipment as Linux developers do not have the inside track that Windows developers enjoy with OEMs.

Enjoy!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Jim R said...

How the hell did you find this post so fast, and at all?

5:30 AM  
Blogger David Wen said...

How is mac usability in Africa? would using a mac be better?

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home