Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Eight Months

The school year is coming to a close, and pretty soon we’re going to start planning out the training period for the new volunteers who arrive in July. I don’t know how to say how bizarre that feels without being boring, so I won’t.

My fridge got turned on for the first time Tuesday, after a weeklong blackout. I’m pretty stoked to be able to have leftovers. And vegetables! I’m restricted to running it during the day since the voltage cuts are too deep during the night, but it’s a lot more than I ever expected to have, so I don’t really care.

The fact that you can join the Peace Corps, own a fridge, and still not be considered to be above the level of your community speaks to how much Africa has developed in recent times. A statistic I only partially remember was something along the lines of the infant mortality rate being the same here as it was in America in 1920. Rock.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Wen said...

Have you learned how to play soccer in Africa?

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home