Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Animals and Miscellania

It turns out that the pregnant goat had three stillborn babies, so that was a bust. Also, one of the five kittens died, though I can't tell from what. I found out that the mother cat is named Paix-joie ('Peace-joy'). My dog's name is Rex, though no one can pronounce the /ks/ sound so they all call him Ress.

My brother further explained today that the goats' legs are broken because when the thieves can't steal the goat, they throw a pipe at it to break its leg. I don't know why, because they never come back to steal the much-slower goats. I'd guess they're just mad they were thwarted by a goat.

I will have a cell phone as of Thursday. I'll send the number around sometime thereafter. Whenever I told a member of my family that I was getting one they congratulated me, which I thought was confusing until I remembered that a cell phone costs about 15% of the average annual income here.

I become a volunteer on Friday and move to my post on Sunday. Apparently no one in my market speaks French, so I'm not sure how I'm going to buy things for a while. Most likely I'll have to find some kid to translate for me.

This will be the last update for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home